Director (Project Operations)
- 2003 – Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- 1997 – M. Eng. in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems, Asian Institute of Technology
- 1990 – M. Tech. in Agricultural Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India
- 1989 – B. Tech. in Agricultural Engineering, J. N. Agriculture University), Jabalpur, India
Area of Expertise
- Project Management
- Multi-hazard Risk Assessment
- Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change Adaptation
- Remote Sensing and GIS
- Training and Capacity Building
- World Association of Soil and Water Conservation
- Managing Editor, Asian Journal of Geoinformatics
- Thematic Area Team Leader at AIT in Disaster Risk Management
1) Jinwei Dong, Xiangming Xiao, Sage Sheldon, Chandrashekhar Biradar, Geli Zhang, Nguyen Dinh Duong, Manzul Hazarika, Ketut Wikantika, Wataru Takeuhci, and Berrien Moore (2014). A 50-m Forest Cover Map in Southeast Asia from ALOS/PALSAR and Its Application on Forest Fragmentation, PLOS ONE, Volume 9, Issue 1, pp. 1-12.
2) Jinwei Dong, Xiangming Xiao, Sage Sheldon, Chandrashekhar Biradar, Nguyen Dinh Duong, Manzul Hazarika(2012). A Comparison of Forest Cover Maps in Mainland Southeast Asia from Multiple Sources: PALSAR, MERIS, MODIS and FRA. Remote Sensing of Environment, 127, 60–73.
3) Thirapong Santiphop, Rajendra P. Shrestha and Manzul K. Hazarika (2012), An Analysis of Factors Affecting Agricultural Land Use Patterns and Livelihood Strategies of Farm Households in Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand,Journal of Land Use Science. Volume 7, Issue 3, pp. 331-348.
4) S. Shahid and M.K. Hazarika (2009), Groundwater Drought in the Northwestern Districts of Bangladesh, Water Resource Management (DOI 10.1007/s11269-009-9534-y), Vol. 24:10
5) Parida, B.R., Oinam, B., Patel, N.R., Sharma, N., Kandwal, R. and Hazarika, M. K. (2008). Land Surface Temperature Variation with relation to Vegetation Types using MODIS Satellite Data in Gujarat state of India. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 29:14.
6) Parida B.R., Collado W.B., Borah R., Hazarika M.K. and L. Samarakoon (2008), Detecting Drought-Prone Areas of Rice Agriculture Using a MODIS-Derived Soil Moisture Index, GIScience and Remote Sensing, 45, No. 1, 109-129.
7) Wilfredo B.C., Sonia L.A, Cheryll B.C., Magsud M., Parida B.R., Hazarika M.K. and Samarakoon L. (2008). Radarsat Data and Crop Growth Parameters for Monitoring Rice in the Rainfed Areas of Pangasinan and Nueva Ecija, Philippines,International Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, Vol.2 No.1, 15-28.
8) Sharma R.R., Samarkoon L., Hazarika M.K. and Kafle T.P. (2007). Applicability of Tropical Rainfall Measuring toPredict Floods in the Bagmati River. Journal of Hydrology & Meteorology, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1-15.
9) Shahid S., Chen X. and Hazarika M.K., (2006). Evaluation of Groundwater Quality for Irrigation in Bangladesh Using Geographic Information Sys., Journal of Hydrology and Hydromechanics, 54(1), 3-14.
10) Hazarika M. K., Yasuoka Y., Ito A. and Dye D. (2004). Estimation of Net Primary Productivity by Integrating Remote Sensing Data with an Ecosystem Model. Remote Sensing of Environment, 94:298-310.
1) Bormudoi, M.K. Hazarika, Ir. Budi Kartiwa, Erni Murniati, L. Samarakoon (2011). Hydrograph Simulation and Flood Mapping Using Remote Sensing and GIS In Citarum Watershed, Indonesia, 32nd Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, Taipei, Taiwan, 03-07 October 2011.
2) Manzul K. Hazarika, S. Singh, Md. Shahab Uddin and Lal Samarakoon (2010). Present Status and Trends of Natural Hazards in the Asia-Pacific Region, 31st Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, Hanoi, Vietnam, 1-5 November 2010.
3) Rana S., Gunasekara K., Hazarika M.K., Samarakoon L. and Siddiquee M. (2010). Application of Remote Sensing and GIS for Cyclone Disaster Management in Coastal Area: A Case Study at Barguna District, Bangladesh, ISPRS Commission VIII, Kyoto, Japan, 9-12 August 2010.
4) Hazarika M.K., Samarakoon L., Senevirathne N., Fowze J.S.M. and de Silva R. (2010). Capacity Building in Applications of Remote Sensing and GIS for Disaster Risk Assessment, ISPRS Commission-VI held at ITC Enschede, The Netherlands, 2-4 June 2010.
5) Bormudoi A., Hazarika M.K., Samarakoon L., Phaengsuwan V. and Thanasack K. (2010). Potential Use of ALOS PALSAR in Flood Hazard Mapping, A Case Study in Five Districts of Lao PDR, 8th Annual Mekong Flood Forum held in Vientiane, Lao PDR, 26-27 May 2010.
6) Hazarika M.K. (2009). Capacity Building on Disaster Risk Assessment in South and South-East Asian countries. A paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Policy & Research for Global Disaster Management (PR4GDM), Seoul, South Korea, 11-13 November 2009.
7) Hazarika M.K., Borah R., Samarakoon L., Subarkah A., Velly A., Carolita I., and Sitorus J. (2008). Tsunami Hazard Assessment in Indonesia Integrating Numerical Model and Geospatial Data, 29th Asian Conference on Remote Sensingheld in Colombo, Sri Lanka, 10-14 November 2008.
8) M. K. Hazarika, A. Bormudoi , T.P. Kafle, L. Samarkoon, K. Nuon , Y. Savuth and R. Narith (2007), Flood Hazard Mapping in Four Provinces of Cambodia Under the Mekong Basin, Fifth Annual Mekong Forum, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 17-18 May, 2007
9) Hazarika M.K., Kafle T.P., Sharma R., Karki S., Shrestha R.M., Samarkoon L. (2007). Statistical Approach to Discharge Prediction for Flood Forecasts Using TRMM Data, 28th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 12-16 November 2007.
10) Hazarika M.K., Kafle T.P., Shrestha K.G., Prathumchai K. and L. Samarakoon (2006). Integration of Remote Sensing Data with a Flood Simulation Model for Flood Hazard Mapping in the Bagmati River, Nepal, ISPRS Commission-IV International Symposium on Geo-information for Disaster Management, Goa, India, 25-26 September, 2006.
11) Hazarika M. K., Yasuoka Y. and Ito A. (2004). Integration of remote sensing data with an ecosystem model to estimate the NPP in the tropical region, LUCC Workshop on Impacts of Changes in Landuse and Management on Carbon Stocks and Turn-Over in the Tropics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 23-25 August, 2004.
12) Hazarika M. K., Yasuoka Y. and Ito A. (2003). Estimation of net primary productivity by integrating remote sensing data with Sim-Cycle. A paper presented in the ISPRS Commission-VII WG6 International Workshop on Monitoring/Modeling Global Environmental Change, Kyoto, Japan, 21-22 October, 2003.
13) Hazarika M. K. and Yasuoka Y. (2002). Estimation of terrestrial carbon fluxes by integrating remote sensing with ecosystem modelling. A paper presented in the 23rd Asian Conference on Remote Sensing held in Kathmandu, Nepal, 25-29 November 2002.
14) Hazarika M.K., Honda K. and Lal S. (2000). Extraction of road information using multi-sensor data. A paper presented in XIXth Congress of ISPRS, 16-23 July 2000, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
15) Hazarika M.K, Samarakoon L., Honda K. et al. (2000). Monitoring and impact assessment of shrimp farming in the east coast of Thailand using remote sensing, XIXth Congress of ISPRS, 16-23 July 2000, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
16) Hazarika M.K. and Honda K., Estimation of Soil Erosion using Remote Sensing and GIS, its Valuation and Economic Implications on Agricultural Production, 10th International Soil Conservation Organisation Conference, 23-28th May, 1999, Purdue University, USA.
17) Hazarika M.K, Samarakoon L., Honda K. and Francis X.J. C. (1998). Application of remote sensing and GIS for road network database management and risk assessment, 24th Annual Conference of the Remote Sensing Society, 9-11 September 1998, The University of Greenwich, Kent, U.K.
18) Francis X.J.C, Honda K, Hazarika M.K.,and Samarakoon L., Flood Monitoring in the Central Plain of Thailand Using NOAA/AVHRR and JERS SAR data, 24th Annual Conference of the Remote Sensing Society, 9-11 September 1998, The University of Greenwich, Kent, U.K.
19) Hazarika M.K., Samarakoon L. and Honda K. (998). Application of Remote Sensing and GIS for Road (Asian Highway) Network Database Creation and Risk Assessment, 19th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, 16-20thNovember, Manila, Philippines.
20) Hazarika M.K. and Honda K. (1997). Monitoring Changes in Agricultural Practices to Assess Soil Erosion using Remote Sensing, 18th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, 20-24th October 1997, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
1) Hazarika M.K., Das D.K. and Samarakoon L. (2010). Integrated Information and Communication System for Disaster Management in Bangladesh, In: ICTD Case Study Series – Issue No. 2: ICT for Disaster Risk Reduction, APCICT-UNESCAP.
2) Hazarika M.K. and Honda K. (2001). Estimation of soil erosion using remote sensing and GIS, its valuation and economic implications on agricultural production. In Stott D.E., Mohtar R.H. and Steinhardt G.C. (Eds.). Sustaining the Global Farm (pp. 1090-1093). Selected papers from the 10th International Soil Conservation Organization meeting held at Purdue University and the USDA-ARS National Soil Erosion Research Laboratory, 24-29 May 1999.
3) Murai S., Hazarika M.K., Lacoul, M. and Honda K., Updating Map Information in Bangkok Ayuttaya Area Using Japanese Satellite (ADEOS AVNIR) Data and GIS, published in “Retrospective and Commemorative Collection of Papers” in respect of professor Gottfried Konecny of University of Hannnover, Germany in September, 1998.
1) Hazarika M.K., Singh S. and Samarakoon S. (2010). Disaster risk in Asia and the Pacific (Chapter-I), Protecting Development Gains – Reducing Disaster Vulnerability and Building Resilience in Asia and the Pacific, The Asia-Pacific Disaster Report, 2010, a joint publication of UNESCAP and UN-ISDR.
2) Export of Shrimps to Japan: Its Environmental and Socio-economic Impact in Thailand, a research report submitted to The Sumitomo Foundation, Tokyo, Japan in March 2000.
3) Investigation for Use of Remote Sensing Data for Road Planning – Asian Highway, a research report submitted toCORE Corporation, Tokyo, Japan in March 1999.