The objective of this project is to assess the capability of the emerging drone technology in combination with satellite data to monitor rice crop health and forecast the yield before the harvest for improved decision making.
Thailand | 2018
- Monitored the phenology of rice using satellite and drone data;
- Assessed the rice health from the satellite and drone data derived Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI);
- Monitored nitrogen levels in rice plants for monitoring its health by using the data acquired by a drone through analysis of the spectral responses;
- Developed a relationship between actual nitrogen levels in rice plants with the observed spectral data from a drone and relate/upscale the same to the satellite data for large-area monitoring;
- Forecasted the rice yields from NDVI before harvesting for taking import/export decisions in advance.